Photo by Scott Webb on Unsplash
Hello and Happy Fall!!
As you may or may not have seen over on twitter I was wishing for someone to host what I’ve been calling a “spooky season” or fall exchange. After thinking about it for a bit I decided to give it a go myself! This is truly my favorite time of year and I know so many others enjoy it too so I wanted to see if y’all might want to participate . . . and the majority said yes! (Cue I’m so excited!! a la Jessie Spano.) So let’s get started on the first (annual?). . .
BOO BOX BARTER
I’m a sucker for alliteration what can I say?
So do you love Spooky season? Is Halloween your favorite holiday? Dress mainly in black (the color of your heart)? Love skulls, witches, or follow Doth the Doth and wonder how he is so hot? WELCOME, you are among friends!!
Or maybe that isn’t your scene and you are more into scarves, knee high boots, seasonal Starbucks drinks (Salted caramel FTW!), love football, tailgating, baking, etc? Love a world where there are Octobers? WELCOME. Any and everyone who loves fall and anything that it encompasses are welcome to participate!
Now, for a few rules. (I know, but there is always at least one bad egg.)
Since this is the inaugural exchange I’m going to keep it US only. I’m sorry international friends but being as I’m getting this started later than I’d like and I’m not sure how participation will turn out I think that will help us get a base. If the exchange goes well I will 100% guarantee to offer an international option next pass. I do have another exchange I was hoping to start in July next year but again the first will be US only to get started if it gets off the ground. Look at it this way – we can work out all the kinks before you join and make it that much easier for you!
* Exchange will be US only
* Sign ups will run from NOW (YAY!!!) till Tuesday October 22 at 5:00pm/c. I’m hoping to have everyone sorted within a day or two after so that way if anyone is more into the spooky side of things everyone has a little time before Halloween items are gone from the shelves. If the swap goes well I plan on moving up the timeframe next year to give more time for my fellow spooky friends.
* You must be willing to commit to mailing a package in the group you sign up for. Failure to do so will result in a ban in any exchange moving forward. There will be two groups to choose from so please think before signing up.
* You must be active in the book community on some level. Whether it twitter, Instagram, or your actual blog you must be active somewhere that we can verify. Now you do not have to have a blog to participate – just be active among friends! We will be checking to make sure so please make sure we can see your profiles. I do not have a facebook so that is not an option for verification.
* Try and provide a contact. Obviously this is a loose rule. . .we’d like for you to give someone and I will specify here that the buddy should be someone active on one of these social media options as well so that your giver should feel they can trust to understand if help if needed but if you don’t have someone we won’t deny your participation. Just know your survey is all they will have to work with and you might be short changing how awesome you are!
* Failure to answer all questions will result in you being removed from the exchange so please fill out the survey in full! Please email your completed survey to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your group number and “Boo Box Barter” as the subject. I will do my best to respond that it was received and you have been verified.
* Tracking will be REQUIRED and you will need to email that number to us once mailed. I will be keeping all tracking information for reference. Direct shipments from amazon, etc will not be allowed. This is supposed to be a box you made specifically with someone else in mind, someone out there is making the same effort for you!
* Follow the deadline to mail. All packages should be mailed no later than Wednesday November 13th. I don’t want this exchange to interfere with any Christmas exchange. This is a fall exchange which for me covers Halloween and Thanksgiving times, not Christmas. Please do your best to commit to this time frame but I understand things may come up. Please contact me immediately if you might be a little late and why so that I can let your person know they haven’t been forgotten.
* Thank your giver. We are asking that if you want to chat on twitter to use the hashtag #booboxbarter. As of right now we are not planning a chat since it is a quick turnaround but please use the tag to help each other out, ask more questions, share hints if you want, and to thank your giver! If doing a post on your blog or a post on Instagram please use the same tag in your post! It is always nice to share and I’d love to get the word out so we can do this swap again next year.
Ok! I THINK that is it for the rules so without further ado here is the survey for the BOO BOX BARTER!
Photo by Andrés Gómez on Unsplash
1. Please provide your complete shipping address. Remember US only this go!
2. Which do you prefer, Spooky Season or Fall in general? Maybe a healthy mix of both? (I will do my best to pair with someone who loves the same things you do to help but no promises!)
3. Age. Are you over or under 18? Both are welcome as long as you can meet all other requirements for cost and time frames. If you want to provide your exact age I will do my best to match you to someone close that might share more with you but I’d never require they provide their exact age. 🙂
4. Links to your social media, blog, etc. What platform do you use the most?
5. Contact – who is your person? You can provide a social media link or direct email, whatever they are ok with but again please make sure it is someone in the community on some level and that they are aware you are making them a contact. If you do not have contact you must clearly state you do not and again understand your person is relying strictly on what was written and what you show online.
6. Which group would you like to participate in? We have two to choose from:
- Group 1 – Price is $15 – $20. This cost does NOT include shipping and you should have at least one book plus a minimum of one goodie, etc.
- Group 2 – Price is $25 and up. This cost does NOT include shipping and should have at least two books plus a minimum of 2-3 goodies, etc.
7. Wish lists – Please provide a either a link to (must be public!) a wish list dedicated to this swap or a list of titles below. If you use a shared wish list or a list you purchase from you could end up with doubles and that wouldn’t be fair to your partner. I’m asking that if you sign up for group one please provide a minimum of five books and if you sign up for group two please provide at least ten titles. These titles should be books that have already been released. You can include ARC titles as well but they do not count towards these requirements. Not everyone has access to ARCs and they should not be expected. If you certain book preferences please include that here as well (hardback, verses paperback). Used books are allowed but must be in good condition.
8. A few of your favorite things. What are the things you love most about fall/spooky season? Favorite scents? Collections? Favorite authors? Maybe you have a genre of books you love to read at this time of year? There are no wrong answers! The more info you give your person the more chances of you getting the best box possible.
9. Lagniappe. Down south we have a word for a little bit extra. You guessed it – it’s lagniappe. (Lan-yap) So did I forget something that you want to include? Add it here!
US Only at this time
Sign ups are from the start of this post till Tuesday October 22 at 5:00pm/c
Must provide tracking to the gals at GP by deadline for mailing, end of day Wednesday November 13. EMAIL: email@example.com
So if you have further questions feel free to email directly or reach out to me (Kristina) on twitter – my DMs are open there. I will do my best to respond as quickly as possible!