Brought to you each week by The Broke and The Bookish & the Number 10
Top 10 Books We’d Recommend as Beach Reads
If I’m going to bring a book to the beach, I want something light-hearted and funny, something that will keep my mind off the punishing sun and make me want to stay in my chair under my hat and read, so here’s what I came up with. ~Dixie
1. Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman–This series of essays on pop culture is freaking hilarious and short enough that you won’t have to devote a lot of time to each essay and can frolic in the waves between.
2. Flip-Flopped by Jill Smolinski–A story about a divorced mainlander living in Hawaii, studying an extinct volcano. Very cute book. I really like this author and I have her newest book (Objects of My Affection) sitting on my dining room table. Can’t wait to crack it open, too.
3. Anything by Allison Scotch Winn–The One That I Want and Time of My Life are about seeing your life for what it is and appreciating it. Both very well written. She also has a new book out, The Song Remains the Same, that seems to be along the same vein.
4. Chemistry for Beginners by Anthony Strong–A story about a shy chemist studying human sexuality and falls for a woman who has Female Sexual Dysfunction. It’s quite a funny and sweet book and now I kinda want to go reread it.
5. Hissy Fit by Mary Kay Andrews–One of my favorite southern authors, this book is about a Georgia interior designer who throws a, um, hissy fit when she finds out her fiance is cheating on her. Also, there’s an antebellum mansion that she needs to bring up to snuff and a cute newcomer in town that needs to be kissed.
I can’t really pick a specific book as much as certain authors. I associate beach reading with something light, funny, and quick. ~Maggie
6. Jennifer Crusie – I will always recommend Manhunting but all of her books have some bit of funny in it and I always find myself laughing.
7. Jen Lancaster – I wish I was friends with her in real life. So funny!
8. Elizabeth Eulberg – Not so much as the humor factor here but super cute reads.
9. Rachel Hawkins – The Hex Hall series is the perfect beach read.
10. Rick Riordan – I realize most of his books are larger and not so quick but they are hard to put down and touch on mythology just enough to not be completely over your head. I think you could be halfway through one and not even notice.