Jamie over @ The Perpetual Page-Turner (and Broke & the Bookish) makes these awesome surveys every year for everyone to participate and share what great books they’ve read, new authors they’ve discovered, and lots of other great finds!
Best In Books 2012
1. Best Book You Read In 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)
I’m going to stick specifically with contemporaries since I have a harder time getting into them and actually finishing them so when I do I know there were worth it.
My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder
These books were great! I loved them and hope that everyone reads them ASAP.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Incarnate by Jodi Meadows
Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris
I liked both of them but I felt there could have been more. I’m holding on to complete judgment until the series are finished.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?
Someone Else’s Life by Katie Dale – I thought this would just a quick contemporary read and it turned into a soap opera. Great book!
4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
Hands down: Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. I got it from the library because I wasn’t sure about it. Then I went out and bought it and made at least four more people read it but bugging them. I’m still recommending it now. A close second here would be Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.
5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
Maria V. Snyder’s Healer Series. I have book 2 Scent of Magic waiting for me from Netgalley!
6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
Maria V. Snyder for sure. I’m on a mission to collect all of her books PRONTO. Leigh Bardugo, Huntley Fitzpatrick, Gretchen McNeil and Rainbow Rowell.
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I’m a nerd but this book took it to a whole new level.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier. I loved every second of it. Books that I read in 1-2 sittings are rare nowadays.
9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
Prom & Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg or Attachments by Rainbow Rowell.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
Possess by Gretchen McNeil
11. Most memorable character in 2012?
I really loved Elliot from For Darkness Shows the Stars. She chose duty over love at first and though she suffered for it she persevered and didn’t complain.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I haven’t continued the series yet but it was great! I only read it this year for a read along because I knew I wouldn’t have started it anytime soon if I didn’t.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?
“If you believed that thoughts were energy and energy is matter (E=mc2) and matter never disappears, then a person can never truly leave you unless you stop thinking about them. Everything you shared with a person is still there swirling around in the universe. Love, Cam had to admit, might be real. And love endures. Relationships endure. Because thoughts are energy, energy is matter, and matter never disappears.” – Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder
“In every letter, in every line, she saw him. He hadn’t changed – he’d only grown into the man he’d meant to be.” For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012?
I really don’t know 100 % for these. . .probably Love Reborn for longest book (almost 600 pages) and the Georgia Nicholson books by Louise Rennison. Most of them were right at 200 pages.
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Definitely the ending to Pandemonium. I mailed Tee @ YA Crush my copy so that she could read it early and we could talk about it. WOW.
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Will Grayson & Tiny Cooper in Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan
Samantha Reed & Jase Garrett in My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously
Jeneration X by Jen Lancaster – When I need a break from all the dystopian or fantasy books I can always count on hers to make me laugh out loud.
20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Touch of Power by Maris V. Snyder – One of the girls at the local used book store told me about this one and I’m so happy she did!
Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2012 (optional)
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2012?
Well of course all of the SC girl’s blogs (though I know we definitely knew Tee @ YA Crush in 2011 so on a technicality she isn’t listed below)
Sandie & Diana @ Teen Lit Rocks
Candice @ The Grown-Up YA
Brittany @ The Book Addict’s Guide
Outside of the SC, Alyssa’s blog Books Take You Places
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2012?
I really liked Article 5 by Kristen Simmons.
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
Probably our recent post on using our real names on the blog. I wanted to just skim over that and pretend it didn’t happen but like the Rolling Stones say: You don’t always get what you want, you get what you need.
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
Hmm. . . This is a harder one for me but Candice @ The Grown-Up YA had a great post about girls and self images.
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Unfortunately we don’t have many signings in my area and all festivals are a bit of a drive from us as well so I haven’t been able to participate in any to date. I’m really trying to make BEA 2013 work though!
6. Best moment of book blogging in 2012?
I’m going to say starting The Selective Collective. We chat almost every day and some days all day. They are all such great people and I can’t wait for this feature to grow. Also, chatting with Brittany & Alyssa ALL DAY LONG.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
On June 8, 2012 we did a combined TGIF and Fangirl Friday. Does anyone remember what movie came out in June? Magic Mike!! So I mentioned this in my Fangirl and 6 months later it has almost 30,000 views. CRAZY.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Any of our giveaways. We are still trying to build up our blog and even though we are working on our second anniversary we still have a long way to go follower wise.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Hmmm. . . probably paperbackswap. Daphne told me about this one and I’ve gotten several books and I’m waiting on more.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I did compete in my first Bout of Books with Daphne and though I had fun it was a bit too much pressure at the time because of my lack of free time this last half of the year.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?
Don’t hate me but I have to say Insurgent. I know what happened. I loved Divergent so much that I preordered Insurgent and there is sat because I had other books that I didn’t own that had deadlines. Maybe it’s a blessing in disguise though because I want to reread Divergent first and the third book won’t be out till the end of the year. I’m just shocked I’ve been able to avoid all reviews and any spoilers to date.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?
What am I NOT excited about? There are so many great books comign out! How about anything by Cassandra Clare? The end to the Delirium trilogy, Requiem? Rachel Hawkins Hex Hall spin off looks cute as well. Oh! Let’s not forget Lover At Last by J.R. Ward. I LOVE the BDB series.
3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?
Oh God, I need to do the same thing I should have been doing in 2012, comment more. I’ve had a lot going on family wise so my free time has been sparse for quite some time and I appreciate everyone taking the time to come by our blog and support us, but I need to do the same back. I’m hoping things will quiet down a bit and I’ll be able to do that this year, you guys deserve it!