Hosted by the girls @ The Broke and The Bookish, this week’s question is:
Top 10 Favorite Romances
Most of the books I read have romance in them. Approximately 100% of them. So with all this loving I read about, a romance has to be pretty special for me to remember them. I’m pretty sure I’ve already mentioned all of these books in some meme or another, but they’re still my favorites and I go back to them over and over, rereading again and again. I am afraid there is nothing new under the sun here, but I hope you enjoy.
- Ron & Hermione from Harry Potter by J K Rowling — My One True Pair. I love the two of them together more than, well, pretty much anything. Their romance was not the central story, as you know, but it was important to me, probably more than the whole Voldemort thing.
- Jackie & Joe from The Cubicle Next Door by Siri Mitchell — I’ve realized that I tend to gravitate to stories about women who are socially awkward finding love, despite their eccentricities. This is one of those stories. Joe has to try very hard to break through Jackie’s armor, and it’s harder than you’d imagine.
- Chastity & Trevor from Just One of the Guys by Kristan Higgins — Chastity has been in love with Trevor since she met him, but he sees her just as her best friends’ sister, or, even worse, his own little sister. Right? If not, then what is holding him back?
- Elizabeth & Darcy from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen — I think what is so beautiful about this book is Darcy’s complete love for Elizabeth, despite his initial assessment of her. And Elizabeth doesn’t bend to anyone’s will, doesn’t attempt to be more attractive to him just because he’s rich and handsome because she thinks he isn’t worth it (initially). Their love has stood the test of time, it’s 200 years old. That says a lot about the writing and the story. I keep reading this story and variations of this story because it’s so true and beautiful.
- Anne & Gilbert from Anne of Green Gables by L M Montgomery — Gilbert’s attraction to Anne was always present. I am not quite sure why she resisted him, but it took him nearly dying for her to realize that she was in love with him. Oh, such a great story.
- Mia & Adam from If I Stay and Where She Went by Gayle Forman — Both of these stories are so beautifully written and the love these two have for each other is enough to make me jealous of fictional people.
- Clair & Jamie from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon — These two have survived A LOT and their love just gets stronger. And I’ve only read the first book in the series, but I cannot wait to read more.
- Hazel & Augustus from The Fault in Our Stars by John Green — Two terminally ill teenagers meet and fall in love despite the obstacles that their illnesses create. There is so much hope in this story, we could all learn from Hazel & Gus to go out and live because one day you’ll be gone. I am tearing up just thinking of them.
- Rachel & Dex from Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin — It’s no surprise that this couple is one of my favorites, despite the Dex’s cheating on Rachel’s best friend and his fiance to be with her. But they were always meant to be together. I love reading later books by Giffin and getting glimpses of their Happily Ever After.
- Amy & Poe from Secret Society Girls by Diana Petrefeund — I don’t know if I’ve ever mentioned these books, I read them so long ago (the last came out in 2009), but they’re about a girl, Amy, who joins her Ivy League College’s secret society, Rose & Grave. She’s part of the first class of female initiates. Over four books, she falls for one of the guys who didn’t want women in their club. It’s a great series and I just wanted to mention it because I still think about these characters (in fact, I recently named my new boxer puppy Poe). I think it’s time for a reread.
Honorable mentions (The following books made me very happy, and you’ll get a great love story if you decide you want to read one of them; sorry, this is going to take a while): Tess & Will from The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare; Clary & Jace from The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare; Jessica & Marcus from Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty; Mia & Michael from The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot; Lola & Cricket from Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins; Katherine & Luc from Project Daddy by Kate Perry; Ava & Cade from Playing Dirty by Susan Andersen; Lizzie & Chaz from Queen of Babble by Meg Cabot; Brooke & Jack from Scot on the Rocks by Brenda Janowitz; Lucy & Nick from Blame it on Chocolate by Jennifer Greene; Percy & Annabeth from Percy Jackson & the Olympians by Rick Riordan; Alice & Jasper from Twilight by Stephenie Meyer; Violet & Jay from The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting; Finnikin & Evanjalin from Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta; Beth & Lincoln from Attachments by Rainbow Rowell; Puck & Sean from The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater; Neve & Max from You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me by Sarra Manning; Treasure & Dennis from The Unlikely Gift of Treasure Blume by Lisa Rumsey Harris; Gretchen & Titus from Fly on the Wall by E. Lockhart; Marian & Conrad from Where We Belong by Emily Giffin; Lucy & Daniel from Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married by Marian Keyes; Faith & Levi from The Best Man by Kristan Higgins; Amy & Matt from At Last by Jill Shalvis; Chloe & Sawyer from Head Over Heels by Jill Shalvis.
Thanks for stopping by and reading my reiteration of my favorite romances. Which books do you go back to over and over to read the romance and fall in love with again and again?