Words/Topics that make me not pick up a book…or put it right back down
- Incest/Sexual Abuse – Look, I read for entertainment. I want to smile and maybe say “aww…,” and these topics are not entertaining to me. This little book called Room by Emma Donaghue has gotten tons of fantastic reviews, but I will never pick it up, though it does sound like a great book and may even have a happy ending.
- Religious Horror – Books like The Exorcist, nope. Not gonna happen. Keep it away from me.
- Update on a classic – I will probably not read an update or re-imagining of a classic book. There are exceptions to this and I think you’ll understand why. Their names are Shakespeare & Austen. I will pretty much reread any update on Pride and Prejudice or any of her other books and I will read/watch mostly anything that redoes Shakespeare’s comedies.
- Horror in general – When I was younger, I LOVED me some Christopher Pike and R. L. Stine, but these days I steer clear of them. I don’t know why. Maybe it’s just because I prefer romance books. The exception to this is paranormal. I don’t mind a good ghost story.
- Angels – I don’t know why, they just don’t seem interesting to me. But Oh, you say, you loved Daughter of Smoke and Bone and it’s sequel. That’s because I didn’t know it was about angels going in. And they’re not your typical Angels. Don’t bother trying to convince me that if I like that, I will like others. I’m just not interested.
- No HEA – If it’s obvious a book isn’t going to have a Happily Ever After, I pretty much don’t want to read it. I understand that not all stories end well, but generally, the types of books I read should have a happy ending. I will make exceptions, of course, but I want the characters to be riding off into the sunset together. Sue me.
- Books that have some broad “message” – Again, this goes back to “I read for entertainment,” I am not looking to be preached to. Plus, I’m pretty easily persuaded and will completely dive in and drink the Kool-aid, so I should probably steer clear of these for sanity’s sake.
8. Werewolves – I really just can’t anymore. Books that are solely focused on werewolves do nothing for me. I was never Team Jacob and I never will be. Don’t even get me started on how The Nightshade series ended. UGH.
9. Angels – I kind of overloaded on these. I still have one series I haven’t finished that I will try to push through eventually but I’m just over them.
10. Westerns – I’m not talking period pieces that are really just romance in disguise. I’m talking full-blown John Wayne or Dirty Harry like stuff. If you give me a romance to follow I can work with that but straight up westerns are not my thing.