Lucy and Owen meet somewhere between the tenth and eleventh floors of a New York City apartment building, on an elevator rendered useless by a citywide blackout. After they’re rescued, they spend a single night together, wandering the darkened streets and marveling at the rare appearance of stars above Manhattan. But once the power is restored, so is reality. Lucy soon moves to Edinburgh with her parents, while Owen heads out west with his father.
Lucy and Owen’s relationship plays out across the globe as they stay in touch through postcards, occasional e-mails, and — finally — a reunion in the city where they first met.
SOURCE: egalley via publisher/Netgalley
Lucy – This girl right here is my kind of people. She HATES the saying “it is what it is” OMG people this saying kills me. I HATE when people use it. She was 95% relatable – I’m leaving a 5% window for being rich since I have no idea what that is like. 😛
Owen – While I enjoyed reading about him and his time with his father he wasn’t quite as relatable for me, something I noticed when he and Lucy both did the same thing and I automatically took her side.
I think GoY&M is my favorite title by Ms. Smith so far. I loved all of the travel (which made me want to take a trip even more than normal), the “meet cute”, the rebuilding of Owen’s relationship with his father, and the showcase of Lucy’s loneliness versus her being alone. If I had any issues at all it would be I wish there would have been a little more togetherness/swoon & MAYBE an epilogue set 5-10 years later. 🙂