Contemporary · Romance · YA

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

gymLucy and Owen meet somewhere between the tenth and eleventh floors of a New York City apartment building, on an elevator rendered useless by a citywide blackout. After they’re rescued, they spend a single night together, wandering the darkened streets and marveling at the rare appearance of stars above Manhattan. But once the power is restored, so is reality. Lucy soon moves to Edinburgh with her parents, while Owen heads out west with his father.

Lucy and Owen’s relationship plays out across the globe as they stay in touch through postcards, occasional e-mails, and — finally — a reunion in the city where they first met.

SOURCE:  egalley via publisher/Netgalley


Character Highlights:

Lucy – This girl right here is my kind of people.  She HATES the saying “it is what it is”  OMG people this saying kills me.  I HATE when people use it.  She was 95% relatable – I’m leaving a 5% window for being rich since I have no idea what that is like.  😛

Owen – While I enjoyed reading about him and his time with his father he wasn’t quite as relatable for me, something I noticed when he and Lucy both did the same thing and I automatically took her side.

Overall Thoughts:

I think GoY&M is my favorite title by Ms. Smith so far.  I loved all of the travel (which made me want to take a trip even more than normal), the “meet cute”, the rebuilding of Owen’s relationship with his father, and the showcase of Lucy’s loneliness versus her being alone.  If I had any issues at all it would be I wish there would have been a little more togetherness/swoon & MAYBE an epilogue set 5-10 years later. 🙂




6 thoughts on “The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

  1. I actually identified with Owen more. I’m not sure why, because our life isn’t similar at all. I think, because I’m such a homebody, I had a hard time relating to Lucy. I mean, I just want to be home! 🙂

    I really did like Geography, though I think my favorite Smith book is still Statistical.

Leave a Reply to Kristina Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s